Jeremy Scahill and Murtaza Hussain
Feb 18, 2026

A former senior U.S. intelligence official who is an informal advisor to the Trump administration on Middle East policy told Drop Site that, based on his discussions with current officials, he assesses an 80-90% likelihood of U.S. strikes within weeks.

Iran realizes that it is facing an unprecedented threat from the U.S. if a deal that conforms with Trump’s terms is not reached, former Pentagon official Jasmine El-Gamal told Drop Site. “This is not a dress rehearsal,” she said. “This is it. This is not the negotiations of last year or the year before or the year before that. They’re backed into a corner. There’s no off ramp.”

    • Majestic@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      1
      ·
      5 hours ago

      Maybe, but they’re also aware of that now.

      It would cost the CIA couch change to bet 300-400k every weekend that Trump is going to attack just to get the Iranians in a panicked frenzy only for it to not happen. If it prevents even a single US fighter from being shot down by wearing them down with false alarms it would be worth it to place and lose bets like that every weekend for a year on end.

      So maybe, but also the US could rig that for nothing, they wouldn’t notice it or need to pass a bill to afford it.

    • FEIN@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      1
      ·
      14 hours ago

      I was just gonna say to look out for those suspicious anonymous 300k+ bets from high rollers